Topsfield Trash Collection and Recycling Information
REMOVAL OF TRASH OR RECYCLING
RELATED ISSUES PLEASE CONTACT JRM
HAULING & RECYCLING SERVICES, INC. AT
Topsfield has a Pay-As-You-Throw trash collection program. All of Topsfield is divided into three zones. Your zone determines what day of the week your trash and recycling are collected. Except during holiday weeks, trash and recycling are collected on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday based on zones. During holiday weeks, trash and recycling collection are generally delayed one day. For example, if a holiday falls on a Monday, collections would take place on Thursday, Friday and Saturday.To find your zone, click here for the zone listing by street.
Trash is collected every week.
- Every household is alloted one single yellow Trash Collection Decal which must be attached to the trash barrel and may not exceed 36 gallons or 40 pounds. The decal must be visible from the street when placed at curbside by 7:00 a.m.
- Additional units of waste, either grabage bags or trash barrels that do not exceed 36 gallons or 40 pounds, require a sticker. The sticker should be placed on bags or on the top item of the trash barrel. DO NOT place stickers on the barrel itself or on its cover.
- Trash in any barrel cannot exceed water level or rim of container.
- Bulky items that do not fit into a 36-gallon trash barrel, or weigh more than 40 lbs., require 2 stickers for collection. NO single item may be longer than 5 feet.
- Examples of how many stickers are required: fill another trash can and put a $2.00 on the top bag, coach over 5 feet in length put 3-$2.00 stickers on item, king size mattress put 3-$2.00 stickers on it, twin size matress put 1-$2.00 on it, desks, chair, small tables put 1-$2.00 sticker on it, bicycle put 1-$2.00 sticker on it, over-stuffed chairs/recliners put 2-$2.00 stickers on it. Not sure, but an extra $2.00 sticker on the item.
- Stickers may be purchased in any quantity for $2.00 per sticker at the Essex County Co-Op, Dawson's Hardware, and Cumberland Farms.
- TV sets and Computer Monitors will not be picked up at the curb. (see Recycling Information for how to dispose of CRT's)
Recycling is collected every
other week on the same day as trash collection.
The following recyclable materials are collected for recycling at the curb:
- Plastics #1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 & 7 that have been rinsed-out
- Unsoiled pieces of cardboard, newspapers, paperboard, junk mail
- Empty and rinsed-out glass bottles/jars, tin, steel and aluminum cans
- All items for recycling can go in one container EXCEPT paper items need to be separated out and be in a separate container. You may use any receptacle of your choice denoting the receptacle with RECYCLE stickers that can be picked up at the Board of Selectmen's office (for no fee).
The following items should NOT be left curbside as recyclables:
Plastic bags (can be brought to supermarkets or large retail stores)
Containers that still contain food or liquid, especially un-rinsed out jelly jars & maple syrup containers
Loose bottle lids. Bottles do not have to have a lid to be recycled, but lids need a bottle to be recycled
Soiled cardboard or paper products, example: greasy parts of pizza boxes
Envelopes with plastic films
Rigid plastics, such as children's toys
Please Note: recyclables should not be left inside of a plastic bag, the plastic bag is not recyclable, place items in a container
Textile Recycling Information available at Mass DEP's Beyond the Bin Recycling Directory - for link click
see below (Metal/ White Goods), and/or click above
2017 Metal and White Goods Pick Up Dates
Wednesday, May 24, Thursday, May 25 and Friday, May 27, 2017.
Hazardous Material Collection Day
Saturday, November 12, 2016 from 9:00am to 1:00pm, Masconomet Regional High
See Below - Hazardous Material - click here for what to bring and what is is not allowable
2016 Reciprocity HHW Collection schedule: other towns you may go to
Additional waste collection
Large items (other than appliances, computers, TVs and hazardous materials) may be place out with the trash with appropriate amount of stickers on them. Additional trash stickers must be attached to each large item.
Yard waste may be taken to the DPW Facility located at 279 Boston Street on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. during the months of April through November. Christmas trees are collected at the same site after January 1st. Please check the website to get exact dates and time. An access ticket must be obtained for $5.00 at the Board of Selectmen's Office allowing entrance to the Compost site. You may now purchase vechicle stickers for $45.
Metal/White Goods (including large appliances)
May 24, 25, 26, 2017
Topsfield residents are advised that in addition to their weekly refuse pick-up, there will be a special Household Metals and White Goods pick -up. This is a FREE collection; items must be curbside by 7AM the same day your trash is picked up. No trash stickers are required.
Household metal objects allowable include anything that contains at least 80% or more of metal. Items that are mostly wood or plastic with some metal will NOT be picked up.Items must NOT be longer than 6 feet. Some examples are, bicycles, lawnmowers, snowblowers (gas and oil must be removed) metal desks and gutters
Household white goods allowable include stoves, washers, dryers, micro-waves, dishwashers and dehumidifiers.
We will no longer be accepting items that contain freon such as refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners, etc.
Please note that all gasoline powered appliances must have gasoline and oil removed for safety reasons.
Computers and TVs
We have an agreement with Boxford that Topsfield residents are permitted to take computer monitors and TV's to the Boxford Drop Off Recycling Center, 7 Spofford Rd, on Saturdays from 9am - 1pm. Fees apply. They are not to be included in the trash pick-up.
Waste Oil can also be brought to Boxford on Saturday from 8a.m. to 12p.m. A Voucher is needed and may be obtained in the Selectmen's Office.
Hazardous material collection day will be held at the Masconomet Regional High School on Saturday, November 12, 2016 from 9:00 am to 1:00 pm. Materials to bring include: paints,gas cylinders,cleaners, corrosives, polishes, resins and adhesives, poisons, pesticides, insecticides, herbicides, fertilizers, fungicides, mercury, waste fuels, spot removers, varnish strippers, solvents, stains, fire extinguishers, batteries, photo chemicals, chemistry kits, swimming pool chemicals, anti-freeze, auto procudts
For more info about what to bring and what not to bring: Click Here
For other surounding cities and towns dates please click here