Topsfield Police Department
Vacant House Check Program
The Topsfield Police Department is initiating a new Community Policing Program for residents who are away from their homes this summer. Residents can come to the Topsfield Police Department and complete a Vacant House Check Form that will allow police officers to periodically check your residence to ensure its safety while you are gone.
Residents interested in this program are to come to the Topsfield Police Department to complete and sign a Vacant House Check Form a few days before your departure. We ask that you call the Topsfield Police Department upon your return.
We have listed some additional safety tips when leaving your residence for any extended period of time.
- Make your home look as lived-in as possible while you're away.
- Let your neighbors and the Topsfield Police know. You can fill out a Vacant House Check Form and drop it off at the police station.
- Give a spare key to a neighbor you trust and give them an emergency telephone number to reach you.
- Arrange to have your mail and newspapers either stopped or picked up daily.
- Have someone mow your yard or rake the leaves so your house looks lived-in.
- Use automatic timers to turn on a radio, television and lights at different times to hide the fact you are not home.
- Turn down the ringer on the telephone. An unanswered telephone is a dead give-away.
- Be sure you don't announce your absence on your answering machine message.
- Leave your blinds like you normally would if you were home. Only close them all the way if that is what you would normally do.
- Be sure to close and lock the garage as well as any storage sheds, gates, etc.
- Engrave all your valuables with your driver's license number. If possible, videotape the contents of your home. Be sure to keep the video and the list of valuables in a safety deposit box.
- Ask your neighbor to occasionally park in your driveway. If you are leaving a vehicle parked outside, have the neighbor move it periodically so it looks as though you are home.
If you have any additional questions please contact the Topsfield Police Department at 978-887-6533.